22.10.08

[Day 1] Proverbs 1

.23 If you had responded to my rebuke, I would have poured my hear out to you and made known my thoughts to you.

.29 Since they hated knowledge and did not choose to fear the Lord,

.31 they will eat the fruit of their ways and be filled with the fruit of their schemes.

I think, often wisdom calls us, nags at us even. But there are many times when our hearts have already determined what they want to hear and ignores it. Solomon gives wisdom a personality in the passage of scripture, and Wisdom seems to be quite eager to speak into us, but she also indicates that many reject her. In this chapter, Solomon actually refers to fools, the Hebraic word for which indicates one who is morally deficient. Does it mean then, that wisdom is tied to goodness? Wisdom also makes it clear that there are consequences for those who do not listen.

I've been in many situations where I had already known that things would turn out badly if I did a certain thing, but sometimes, be it out of curiosity, arrogance, or pride (not stupidity mind you), I'm just "need" to see what it feels or looks like. And of course, things turn out badly. I'm sure we've all been in some situation like that. Call it instinct, insight, a feeling, I think I could do a bit better (i.e. my thumb wouldn't be wrapped in bandages right now) if I took heed more often. Of course experiences can serve to teach as well. And oftentimes Wisdom is drawn from experience. But if Wisdom calls out... I believe it's best to listen.

Father, for all I've done, all the times I've screwed up, all the people I've hurt, all the horrible things I've said, forgive me. Forgive me the depravities that plague me on so many levels. Creator, giver of all life, thank You for Your grace, thank You for your healing. Increase my wisdom and understanding, and then increase my willingness to listen. Fill my heart with awe and wonder, and desire to learn more and more. Amen.

No comments: